Thursday, May 28, 2015

Every Hero Has A (usually radioactive) Story


Every Hero Has A (usually radioactive) Story


Summer Reading 2015 program theme is "Every hero has a story" so I grabbed some scrap paper and put superheroes all over our 7' display board, took a photo and turned it into an activity sheet for the kids next month: name the hero. Some are kinda hard (Nick Fury, Black Widow, etc.)

I was going to have each character do a word balloon (in the classic Comic Sans font) that hinted at their origin: 

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles-"I was a turtle that got irradiated in the sewer"
Hulk- "I was a scientist that got hit with radiation"
Thing-"I was radiated...I think...probably..."
Spiderman- "I was bitten by a radioactive spider"


It got boring with all the radiation, so I just went minimalistic:




I had fun with scrap/garbage pieces of paper I saved and made random super hero faces--and Cat Woman, who somebody pointed out was a villain, LOL! It was actually a complaint from my boss, whom I placated by doing a Bat Girl face (bottom center).









I had to fill Seven feet of display board, and I also took a picture of and made an activity-sheet for next month's Summer Reading Program weekly thing: Name as many as you can.


People used to be impressed with nuclear energy and hopeful of its future; then they were afraid of the nuclear bombs--now people seem to know nothing about radioactivity or nuclear particles or science in general...besides it's effect on spiders-and the men they bite!


And no, my facial hair was not totally inspired by X-Man superhero Wolverine, it was mostly inspired by the guy in Kiev whose photo shows up if you search "modern ukrainian cossack playing bandura" in Google/Images.

Anyway, I'm patiently awaiting for a delivery from United Nuclear to build my own irradiating Neutron Gun!